Friday, May 20, 2011

Wishing you a Happy Day

I had been thinking of writing another Blog on here but was looking for something cheerful and uplifting. I think we have all had to deal with a long hard winter, struggling with different aspects of the VA, fighting each day for our loved-ones and also, for many of us, the extra stress of flooding, tornadoes and other severe weather related problems.

This morning when I woke, the sun was shining and the sky was a clear blue. I took my dogs and my camera and went for a long walk. I am lucky enough to live in a rural area so in a few minutes I can be surrounded by trees, flowers and water. I know just how soothing and healing this can be. As I know many of you may not be able to get out and enjoy nature like this, I wanted to share my bit of bliss with you.

Not far from my house is a large area that was originally destined to be a building site for a number of new houses. When the housing market slumped, the area was abandoned and nature has taken back her own. I love to ramble over this area, especially to the lake, as a number of birds have made their home there. This morning, I saw to my delight, that a Canada Goose had nested on a tiny island on the lake and appears to be sitting on eggs. She certainly chose a safe place.

If you would like to see my photos, I have loaded them via Flickr, and you can see them here.

My small bit of good news is that the Caregiver Coordinator at our local VA appears to be taking her new job seriously. She has called me several times, just to check up on me, which I find to be comforting. She also talks with my care receiver, which is even better.

I do feel that we caregivers are making progress, even though it is not always apparent. It is a lot of work to keep educating people about who we are and what we do. On the days when I get discouraged, I look back and think of the advances we have made just in the last year. I know we cannot rest on our laurels. We have to keep up the pressure (yes, it is tiring) but small victories are certainly worth sharing.

I wish everyone a peaceful weekend, and if you have the chance, get outside and enjoy a little of what Mother nature has to offer.



1 comment:

  1. What a lovely blog posting, and I could almost forget I was at my desk while I wandered through the park land with you! Many thanks for a moment of joy - they are to be appreciated!

    Progress comes in small steps, but it has come, and will continue to come with our perseverance, faith, and fortitude. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete